- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup honey, maple syrup, or sugar
- Egg replacer for 2 eggs (2 tbsps flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tbsps water, OR 1 tbsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 4 tbsps water)
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour or barley flour
- 1⁄2 cup blue or yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
(Makes 12 muffins) (V) – This recipe is a vegan option recipe!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put raisins, bran, and boiling water into small bowl.
- Stir orange juice, honey, egg replacer, and zucchini together in a large bowl. Add raisin/bran mixture and stir.
- Stir flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
- Fold dry ingredients into liquid mixture and stir.
- Pour batter into nonstick muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Total Fat: 1.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 210 mg
Total Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrate: 28 g Sugar 11 g
Source: Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyne, Jr. MD